Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Batman and Barbie

I enjoy playtime with both of my kids. My mentioned previously, Colin is going through a board game stage, and so we play either Sorry or the Goose Game at least once a day. Lucia doesn't really like to play, but she likes to hold the cards and hand them out to the players, effectively controlling the flow of the game, which is consistent with her bossy personality.

Playtime with Lucia is a bit different. She enjoys make-believe, and likes to pretend that she is a princess (her favorites are Ariel and Belle). The downside is that whenever we play, I am basically instructed to follow her around, keep quiet, and not question her decisions. And I never get to be a princess. Her newest make-believe game is Batman and Barbie - guess who has to be Batman every time. I've tried requesting a change in characters - "Can I be a princess?" "No." "Can I at least be a girl?" "No." End of discussion. I try to contribute to the game by suggesting things that we can pretend, "How about we fly to the beach in my Batplane?" "N0." "Barbie, shouldn't we make the dolls some breakfast before we send them to school?" "No." Just do what she says and follow her around as we dance or skip from room to room. That is essentially playtime with my little gir.

1 comment:

Ed (zoesdad) said...

She should play with Zella. All she wants is to be a prince!